The programme consists of 19 movement skills which can be learnt in any order. There is also a video of a stretching routine which should be practiced before and after each session. Stretches are particularly chosen because of their proprioceptive/grounding input effective for individuals with autism. The ideal routine for delivering the programme is as follows:
- Before commencing the session ensure you are logged in with your email and password used to purchase the programme.
- Ensure any equipment required, i.e. balls, bat etc. is available.
- Allow the participant to view the video of each stretch before performing it.
- Perform the stretch and provide prompting support as necessary.
- Allow the participant to observe the video of the skill you wish to teach.
- Ask the participant to then perform the skill. Provide prompting support as necessary.
- Use the Identifying Features list to establish what points need to be worked on.
- Use the voice over prompt to guide you to the key areas of each skill.
- Use the Additional Learning Opportunities list to further develop communication, social, emotional and physical skills.
- Perform post stretching routine after each session.
- Practice each skill at least 5 times per session
- Have a minimum of three sessions per week.
- Include at least three to five skills per session with each session lasting 20 minutes.
The key to the successful running of the programme is to ensure the frequency, intensity and duration of each session is maintained. The more often each skill is practiced, the greater the chance of refining the skill and ensuring permanent learning takes place.