Definition, Diagnosis of ASD
• Exploring issues in the world of ASD.
• Theories associated with ASD.
• Prevalence of ASD.
• Causes of ASD
• Teaching & Learning Interventions for individuals with ASD
• Treatment and Education of Autistic and related
Communication Handicapped Children (TEACCH)
• Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA)
• Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS).
• Pivotal Response Training (PRT)
• Mobile Digital Technology (MDT).
Definition: ASD is a Neurodevelopment Disorder ‘Autism’ is now replaced with ‘Autism Spectrum Disorder’ (ASD) with all its previous sub-types included. These are 1. Autistic Disorder, 2. Asperger’s Syndrome, 3. High Functioning ASD 4. Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD).
ASD now has two categories of impairment instead of three, so a triad of impairments is replaced by a dyad of impairments.
These are ‘social communication deficits’ (combining social and communication problems) and ’restricted/repetitive behaviours’.
•‘Language impairment/delay’ is no longer included and a new clinical feature; ‘unusual sensitivity to sensory stimuli’ has been introduced.