“It was only a matter of someone telling us what was needed and we were happy to make the changes. Otherwise, we wouldn’t know” (Claire Jones, Supervalu, Miltown Malbay).
- Do you know what autism is?
- Have you ever wondered where the condition came from?
- Why has autism become more common?
- Who is likely to be diagnosed with autism?
- What causes autism?
- How does someone with autism present?
- What are the support structures that can be put in place to encourage children and adults with autism to engage with others?
- How can society help to alleviate anxiety and isolation for individuals with autism?
- Do you want to support and participate in meaningful change in your home, your business, your community and your society?
This 2 hour certified course developed by Dr Susan Crawford offers autism awareness training to individuals, professionals, businesses and community groups. The course is open to anyone who wants to grow their knowledge, awareness and understanding of autism either from personal, professional or knowledge perspectives. The course will provide opportunity to address and explore the condition in depth and participants will receive certificates following completion of a quiz on the topic. For those who cannot attend on the night the course can also be completed online by logging on to www.getautismactive.com
Dr Susan Crawford (PhD) specialises in addressing autism from research, policy and practice perspectives. She has been actively involved in addressing the learning and overall development of education, health and activity programmes for children and adults with autism for the past 20 years. Susan’s only child Tomas was diagnosed with autism at the age of 2yrs and subsequently with epilepsy and autism related catatonia in recent years. However, singly and collectively despite these issues they have completed runs, walks, half marathons, marathons and trails all over the world highlighting the potential of all on the autism spectrum despite the diagnosis. Susan has spoken and published both nationally and internationally. She has also been the recipient of numerous awards for her autism related work. Her third book on “Fundamental Movement Skill Acquisition for Children and Adults with Autism” published to international acclaim was launched on November 26th 2018 in The Bellbridge Hotel with host Marty Morrissey.
In 2019, Susan is undertaking to walk, run and cycle The Wild Atlantic Way in her bid to promote Ireland as “autism active and autism aware”.